Extension Manager

error when starting extension manager

1 year 4 months ago #73613

Ben van Wetten's Avatar Ben van Wetten

Hi peter,
For unknown reason, I get the message "Kon geen data van de Regular Labs website halen. Probeer het later opnieuw."
(translated: "Unable to get data from Regular Labs website, Try again later")

This is for the last 2 days.
I've checked the download ID's, no glitch there...

Any idea on the possible reason?

kind regards,
Ben

1 year 4 months ago #73619

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen Admin

Looks like you either have a Joomla security/firewall extension blocking stuff or your host/server has some security rule in place blocking the connection to the Regular Labs server.

The Regular Labs Extension Manager tries to load in the extension update information via a json file residing on the Regular Labs domain (download.regularlabs.com). Check your access/error logs or ask your host to see if and what is blocking the connection.

1 year 4 months ago #73639

Thanks Peter,
Last night had long discussions with the hosting service. No blocking on their part seems to be the culprit.
This morning one-by-one manually updated all active regularlabs extensions.
(some had not been updated for the last couple of days...) Special attention for the extension manager itself. It showed in the past an "unable to update"-message, after which a second attempt appeared succesful. But the active version of the extension manager was: 7.0.6., with library version: 17.6.18545

Manually updated extension manager to 7.1.2. with library: 17.7.17782

Still no result on the problem....

Now disabling all of the other extensions and one-by-one activating them again.
Also no result... (allas...)

Now I will go and look into access/error logs for possible culprits (maybe should have done this first... 🙂
I will report back.
kind regards,
Ben van Wetten

1 year 4 months ago #73645

The major question, that I have been asked by the hosting service (one.com) is:
"Is the updating service using 'cron jobs' ?"

They mention that these 'cron jobs' are NOT supported by their hosting server. (Stangely enough, until a few days ago I had no problem with it...)

Manual updating (first downloading from Regular Labs website and then uploading to the server as a package) works fine... and does not give me any trouble.

Thanks for your time, Peter

1 year 4 months ago #73649

No, it is a simple php curl call that gets triggered the moment you open the component or click on the refresh button.

1 year 4 months ago #73650

PS: Do you also get errors when trying to check for updates in the Joomla update manager?

1 year 4 months ago #73655

Thanks for your answer. I will coordinate with the hosting service, in order to check for solutions.

Your "P.S."... There are no problems or error messages when using the Joomla update manager. I have unticked some update sites for some extensions, but that also does not change when ticking those.

I will try further... keep you posted.
Ben van Wetten

1 year 4 months ago #73663

Hello Peter,

Another good morning...
During the night, the hosting service has been looking at the 'problem'. Magically the problem has been solved, (not only on the 1 site that I left login-credentials for... but...) on all Joomla sites that I host on their servers.

I am trying to find out what was changed in order to get this result, in order to learn from the experience.

kind regards,
Ben van Wetten

1 year 4 months ago #73664

Ok, great to hear it is solved.
Nothing changed on my side as far as I know.

1 year 4 months ago #73678

Latest news.... "no news"

Hi Peter,
Apparently the 'problem' has dissolved itself. The hosting service had not even started to look at it, and it already disappeared.
Lucky me..., but I normally really would be interested in the background reasons for such a phenomena.

Any way, I will still be gladly making positive use of your (nicely working) extensions.
kind regards,
Ben van Wetten