Articles Field

Links to Tags

1 year 2 months ago #84769

Vinny Hebert's Avatar Vinny Hebert

Is there a possibility you'd consider adding the ability to link to a tag rather than an article?

1 year 2 months ago #84776

Andrea Malalana's Avatar Andrea Malalana Moderator

Can't you simply assign the tag to the article? And then use Articles Anywhere to display it anywhere you want if you really need that?

1 year 2 months ago #84778

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen Admin

You can use the custom layout in Articles Field to create whatever link you want around the article titles.

I am not sure what kind of 'links to tags' you mean.
So you want to add a hash link to the article url?
Or not use the article url at all?

For a hash url, you could do something like:

<a href="/[url]#something">[title]</a>
O, for instance, link to an anchor on the same page (not the article) using the alias of the article:
<a href="#[alias]">[title]</a>

1 year 2 months ago #84779

Ah, I think I misunderstood your question. So you want Articles Field to list tags instead of articles.
Well, no, Articles Field can't do that.

1 year 2 months ago #84785

So this is what I do now.

I have a podcast that I list the cast. Each actor is a tag (not an article) that has a list of all the podcast episodes (articles) they have been tagged in. On the podcast episode page (article) I have a cast section that links the actors name to their tag. I do this using snippets right now so I can get the actor to link to their tag. I was wondering if you would consider giving the option to link to an article or a tag, not just an article.

Example iloveoldtimeradio.com/episodes/ep0077

1 year 2 months ago #84786

Nope, sorry, that is not within the scope of Articles Field.
You can probably do what you want with the help of Articles Anywhere in the mix, as Andy suggested.

1 year 2 months ago #84787

I'm not seeing how I can use Articles Anywhere to link to a tag page.

1 year 2 months ago #84788

Sorry, I guess I just don't get how you set things up. I don't get how an 'actor is a tag'. As a tag is just a label, it has no data attached to itself.
If you just want to link to tags, then I don't see what Articles Field (or Articles Anywhere) has to do with this.

1 year 2 months ago #84789

I get what you did now.

So you pretty much "faked" an Articles Field setup, using tags for actors instead of articles. Because there was no way to link to articles. So you used tags as alternative.

Well... Now you discovered Articles Field. So what you should do is convert your set up and make Authors actual articles instead of tags. And link to them via Articles Field 🙂

1 year 2 months ago #84790

I know in its current existence Article Fields won't do this. I was just wondering if you'd consider adding a way to link tags rather than articles. I choose to use tags for the actors because the same actor can be associated with multiple episodes. The link I posted above will show you that all cast links link to tags.

1 year 2 months ago #84791

Vinny Hebert wrote:

I know in its current existence Article Fields won't do this. I was just wondering if you'd consider adding a way to link tags rather than articles. I choose to use tags for the actors because the same actor can be associated with multiple episodes. The link I posted above will show you that all cast links link to tags.

It's called Articles Field. Not Tags Field. So no, sorry.

Plus, you can already link to tags with the default Joomla layouts. So there is no need for an extension for that. You already associated the tags to the articles, why would you want to link them again?

Again, I suggest you to make authors be articles. And link to them with Articles Field. You can link multiple articles with no problem.

1 year 2 months ago #84792

Thank you for your time. It's obvious you are not understanding (especially why I don't use authors as articles). I'll just continue to use snippets to achieve as they seem to render correctly in custom fields.