Search
Other Modals questions
Forum

syntax for video links in modalcontent mode

Patrick Finegan's Avatar Patrick Finegan
What is the correct syntax for embedding a YouTube or Vimeo link within {modalcontent} tags?

I tried the following at scnylab.org/j40/index.php?view=article&id=18&catid=2 and came up empty.
{modal content="rippon-olympics-team-event-2018-SP" title="Adam Rippon - Team Event Short Dance - 2018 Olympics"}
2018 🎬
{/modal}
{modalcontent rippon-olympics-team-event-2018-SP}
youtube="v=cIXlkJa_OeM"
{/modalcontent}
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Why would you want to use the inline content method for this?
youtube and vimeo videos are external, so you cannot use the inline content method for this.

Unless you use some 3rd party extensions to embed the video in the content.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Patrick Finegan's Avatar Patrick Finegan
Why would you want to use the inline content method for this?
Fair question. Background: The Skating Club of New York helps, at any moment, 1000+ developing and already-elite skaters, including future Olympians - from countries all over the globe (During the 2022 Winter Olympics alone, SCNY skaters represented the US, Switzerland, Israel, Slovakia, Ukraine, S. Korea, and Japan). Managing skater training, travel, competitions, test sessions, exhibitions, sponsorships, scholarships, fundraisers and side activities requires LOTS of staff, but SCNY is 100% VOLUNTEER – something we are VERY proud of. Unfortunately, most of the volunteers are VERY OLD (I used punch cards in my late 20s), most are deeply and correctly afraid of touching code, and most prefer to volunteer for face-to-face activities with skaters (Why stay home alone in front of a computer when you can hobnob with and watch the world’s best skaters, coaches and officials – most of whom were themselves star skaters? For old people, volunteering is a way of socializing – of making and having friends, instead of sitting alone and depressed at home).

The Club maintains an Excel database of every medal a SCNY skater has won at an Olympic, ISU or USFS-sanctioned competition. There were 1,806 records at the end of 2022. There will be 2,000+ records by the end of 2023, 2,100+ records by the end of the 2023-24 competition season. Ten years ago, I wrote 2500 lines of code to automatically sort, filter and transfer those records into the NINETEEN Honor Roll pages listed in the submenus at thescny.org/index.php/150-years/achievements/senior/olympics . If the Excel database is maintained (I let it lapse because COVID but survived, thank you), the pages can be updated weekly – which is not necessary for the Olympics, but is necessary for myriad International competitions.

There are only two human tasks – (1) maintain the Excel database (published at thescny.org/index.php/results/online-database ) and (2) periodically verify all YouTube and Vimeo links. Skating videos go up and are taken down daily, so the database requires frequent double-checking.

The reason why I “would … want to use the inline content method” is that all the video links are in one place at the very bottom of the HTML page. Example:
{modalcontent shibutanis-olympics-2018-FS}
{youtube}ttRe08giXQs{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
{modalcontent shibutanis-olympics-2018-SP}
{youtube}rBbtpLn-wMU{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
{modalcontent rippon-olympics-team-event-2018-SP}
{youtube}v=cIXlkJa_OeM{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
{modalcontent shibutanis-olympics-team-event-2018-SP}
{youtube}z-1mj01CJhA{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
{modalcontent grace_gold-olympics-team-event-2014-SP}
{youtube}Ka8ktaa3_YE{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
{modalcontent hughes-olympics-2002-FS}
{youtube}B-Au7ZvpO2E{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
{modalcontent hughes-olympics-2002-SP}
{youtube}EFrmLSzsukI{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
{modalcontent hamill-olympics-1976-FS}
{youtube}6h0sQpM-bXs{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
{modalcontent hamill-olympics-1976-SP}
{youtube}0yKWXs0LL_U{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
{modalcontent allen-olympics-1964-FS}
{youtube}3lR-m-EzHE4{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
{modalcontent heiss-olympics-1960-FS}
{youtube}WLIc50G8Cu0{/youtube}
{/modalcontent}
I can cut and paste that code into an email, then send it to a computer-phobic volunteer. I can ask that computer-phobic volunteer to check the links, and perhaps trust them to edit the code and send it back to me with corrected links. I cannot send them an entire page of HTML and ask them to find each {modal … vimeo= …} or {modal … youtube= …} instance and check/correct it. It would be too intimidating, time consuming and prone to error, even for me – a retired lawyer with no formal programming experience. The task is a lot simpler if all the video references are in one place.

Previously, I used the AllVideos plugin to accomplish this. I will investigate whether there is a modalcontent-compatible version for Joomla 4.

Thank you for getting back to me, even if the news was disappointing.

Sincerely,
Patrick Finegan
Volunteer Website Administrator
The Skating Club of New York
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
...ok.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription