Search
Other Extension Manager questions
Forum

Regular Labs can no longer access "download.regularlabs.com​" for software updates.

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
I already passed the questions and info along to my host. I am still waiting for their reply. That will hopefully be tomorrow.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Here is the reply from Vimexx.

The first part is a response to me complaining about not getting a timely response.

There is also a reply in there to:
Dave Bishop wrote:
There is a possibility that the requests are failing because the remote server is configured to accept only IPv6 traffic. We do not support IPv6, hence why the connectivity issue might occur.
Vimexx support wrote:
First of all, this issue is so complicated that it usually takes me at least 15 minutes before I can even start a response.
In addition, I am almost constantly busy/needed to help colleagues.
That this ticket is more complicated, and requires more time & attention is of course no problem, but unfortunately this means that I can't handle it "just in between".
As a result, an answer unfortunately had to wait a while, so that you can at least get a complete and substantively correct answer from me.

Concerning the whitelisting I can be brief; no. There is no whitelisting, nor can there be one.
A whitelisting gives an IP address free reign, and is therefore a huge security risk.
In addition, whitelisting will not help against a non-resolving DNS.

You stated the following in an earlier post:
:~$ curl -I -X GET "https://download.regularlabs.com/updates.xml?e=extensionmanager&type=.xml"
curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'download.regularlabs.com'
However, this is not a problem the other way around:
[root@vps0216 ~]# curl -sIL "gtxm1232.siteground.biz"
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Server: nginx
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:55:40 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content Length: 162
Connection: keep alive
X-Default-Vhost: 1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:55:41 GMT
Content Length: 1371
Last-Modified: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:15:50 GMT
Connection: keep alive
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Tag: "64b69086-55b"
X-Default-Vhost: 1
Accept ranges: bytes
This also indicates that nothing should get in the way of the connection.
Could you ask SiteGround to run the cURL like this:
curl -4 -sIL -X GET "https://download.regularlabs.com/updates.xml?e=extensionmanager&type=.xml"
And additionally do the following cURL, to confirm that the problem is with the DNS:
curl -4 -skIL -X GET "185.220.175.129"
This should both work just fine, but probably only the bottom one will work, because there's a problem resolving the DNS.

As for only accepting IPv6 traffic on our end, this is simply not true.
Our servers support both IPv4 and IPv6 traffic.

We would like to receive the output of the curl commands above, and hope to be able to trace them.

If the cURL to the IP address also causes problems, we can try to (temporarily) disable the entire firewall.
If the problem is in the firewall it will take a lot of research on our end before we can fix it as it involves multiple IP's, but that should also be fixable 🙂
Paul Smith's Avatar Paul Smith
Just throwing my situation in the mix here. Also hosted on Siteground and now unable to update Regular Labs extensions. It was working in June when I upgraded 1 site to J4; and now failing on that site as well as the 2nd site I just started to upgrade. I spent a few hours trying different things before finding this thread. Based on all this I will just file a ticket with Siteground to migrate to another data center and see how they respond. So in my case I am getting failures with J3 under php 7.4 and 8.0, and J4 under php 8.0.
I have checked with Siteground and indeed my failing sites are hosted out of Texas. However, I have 3rd site under a different account which is hosted out of Virginia. That site is updating Regular Labs stuff just fine.

The support guy I talked to did not have any references to any known problems on this topic so for expediency I just initiated a site relocation of my failing sites to the Virginia data center which can be done online through the account/website interface (for a $5 fee).

I have sent an email to Siteground asking them to run the cURL commands Peter listed above from Vimexx since if the problem is not identified it could propagate.
Bernhard Aggeler's Avatar Bernhard Aggeler
Response from Siteground:

Thank you for the follow-up.

As requested, I have executed both of the provided commands from within your account on the server. The first one does not have any output, while the second one does:

baseos | :~$ curl -4 -sIL -X GET "https://download.regularlabs.com/updates.xml?e=extensionmanager&type=.xml"
baseos | :~$
baseos | :~$ curl -4 -skIL -X GET "185.220.175.129"
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 02:28:59 GMT
Server: Apache/2
Last-Modified: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 09:11:43 GMT
ETag: "2c-5aeb59b6b9b30"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 44
Vary: User-Agent
baseos | :~$
Thanks. Waiting for the response from my host...
BTW they are suddenly insisting to relocate but I'm ongoing with our quest as long until everybody also does because I think it's only way to find real issue and solution for everybody involved. Relocating is only last resort and I guess in future mre people will face that and we should get a clear understanding and fix...
Thank you Bernhard.
Yes, I told my host that they can test if things start working on your site, when the switch off their firewall entirely and such.
After relocation of my 2 sites from the Texas to the Virginia SG data center the download site is again operational - one site on J3, the other on J4.

I did also receive feedback from SG ..
Dear Paul,

My name is George and I am Supervisor of the SiteGround Customer Care team. I went through the discussion in the forum, so that I can get familiar in details with the issue. I also reviewed any previous communication from our clients regarding this issue. I wanted to keep you up to date what has been done so far and how we will proceed further to solve this issue.

Thank you for the detailed and thorough feedback, as it will definitely help us. I have contacted our Senior members of our admin team, so that we can investigate the cause of the issue. As requested, the two commands have been executed from a server in Texas DC and indeed something is preventing those commands from executing.
This is why, my colleagues started with checking in any of our firewalls for possible block of the IP 185.220.175.129. Currently, no such block is present and since the same command executed from the server of regularlabs.com is successful, this means that somewhere in the route there is a block of the IP range 34.174.0.*.
To help you in the best way, our admin team have contacted the hosting provider of download.regularlabs.com directly, so that the both teams can locate where in the route is the issue preventing the connection from our data center.

I am confident that the culprit for the issue will be located shortly, so that all of our clients can use download.regularlabs.com/ without any issue. Once we hear back from the other company and solution is applied, I will update you with the progress.

Best regards
George
SiteGround Hosting Group
Thanks for this.
Very happy to hear that SiteGround has taken the step to contact my host (Vimexx).
I have asked Vimexx to contact SiteGround directly a number of times (in the 33 messages I sent them in the ongoing ticket!), but they didn't find it necessary to do that 😡

Hopefully, the 2 hosts will finally be able to figure out where the issue lies and how to solve it.
My money is on the issue lying in the firewall of my host... but time will tell.
Vimexx didn't get back to me all that time. But that did give me the time to move my sites to a different hosting solution.
I finished all that today, and my site should all be working ok now.

Can you see if the connection issues are now fixed?
Kevin Brackley's Avatar Kevin Brackley
I am not getting any downloads from joomla, of course I just migrated my site from J3 while you were doing maintenance. The luck!!

Anyway, I came here to just download the J4 versions and install and can't get any files from the website.
Minion Interactive s.r.o.'s Avatar Minion Interactive s.r.o.
Hmmm,

but download from this site not function too
I see only white page after click to the buttom download

And in section Download ( regularlabs.com/extensionmanager/download ) I see No downloads found!

It is really problem in hosting?
I had to deal with some issues caused by the different server environment.
Can you let me know if all is working now?

PS: one issue was that I wasn't getting notifications of forum posts anymore, hence the way-too-late reply... sorry!
Oooh I have good news from my side!

Whatever has been done between Siteground and your host I don't know but suddenly all updates appeared again in my J4 and all worked fine (with one exception of conditional content which is OT for this thread so will open another post as seems some error in update...

Thanks Peter for your effort, finally all my Regular Labs extensions update again...
Like mentioned above, nothing happened between my host and Siteground.
I was completely fed up with the unresponsiveness of Vimexx. So I moved to a different host.
You can only post on this forum if you log in