Search
Other Extension Manager questions
Forum

Regular Labs can no longer access "download.regularlabs.com​" for software updates.

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Please see the rest of this thread.

Siteground is now jumping back to the start and pointing the finger again.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Bernhard Aggeler's Avatar Bernhard Aggeler
Hi Peter I admit I "only" read 3/3 of this huge thread but with my serious eye sight problem thats aHUGE effort.

Only thing I came across iss "move to Dallas Server". Are you refering to this as the solution or did I miss something else?

Also, would it be possible for you (or members) to flag in your forum the message containing the solution to like most others do?

Its a HUGE time effort (and most often unnecessary) if need to read several pages of threads.

Hope you can guide/resume me what or where is solution, thanks
Please read: docs4.regularlabs.com/extensionmanager/f...ease-try-again-later
If the above things don't reveal anything, ask your host to perform a traceroute from your server to the download.regularlabs.com domain/IP. And then pass that along to the Regular Labs support via the forum.
Jim Sheridan's Avatar Jim Sheridan
Bernhard Aggeler,

Jim here... I was the one who originally posted this ticket.

Since you have a difficult time reading and yes, this ticket out of necessity did become a long one... Here's a brief recap of what occurred with me.

SiteGround relocated all of my web hosting accounts to the Dallas data center. Prior to that relocation occurring, none of my Joomla installations that utilized Regular Labs Extension Manager ever had a problem connecting to the Regular Labs update URL.

However, for reasons unknown to me, one of my web hosting accounts was actually relocated to the Los Angeles data center, not to Dallas. That Los Angeles based Joomla installation, which also utilizes Regular Labs Extension Manager, was connecting just fine to the Regular Labs update URL.

After a lot of investigation and assistance by both SiteGround support and Peter at Regular Labs, no reason was ever found for why my Joomla installations hosted by SiteGround at the Dallas data center, simply couldn't connect with the Regular Labs update URL.

So, long story short... SiteGround relocated all of my web hosting accounts from the Dallas data center over to the Los Angeles data center. That solved the connection problem with the Regular Labs update URL and everything is working just fine now.

Neither myself, SiteGround support or Peter at Regular Labs ever discovered the exact source of the connection problem. And, if you can't find where a URL connection blockage is occurring, naturally you can't fix it.

In the end Bernhard, the solution for me was simply having SiteGround support relocate all of my SiteGround hosting accounts from Dallas over to the Los Angeles data center. Problem solved.

Good luck!

Jim
Thanks Jin!
My host tells me that they fixed the issue (without saying what the issue is)...
Can you see if it works now?
If it still doesn't work, then unfortunately I will need to ask for a traceroute again.
My host says the traceroutes should execute fine now...
Hi Peter, unfortunately not, I cant confirm

I requested additional traceroute to be redone to send you.

On the other side did your hist explicitly confirmed he whitewashed my ip?

34.174.21.196 - Server IP
34.174.185.84 - site IP
Here is latest response from Siteground:

Hello Bernhard,

I can successfully generate requests to download.regularlabs.com/updates.xml?e=e...ionmanager&type=.xml from my local computer:

Aleksandar-Rachev:~ aleksandar.rachev$ curl -I -X GET " download.regularlabs.com/updates.xml?e=e...ionmanager&type=.xml "
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:16:50 GMT
Server: Apache/2
X-Powered-By: PHP/7.4.24
Pragma: public
Cache-Control: public
Expires: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 23:16:50 GMT
Vary: Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/xml;charset=UTF-8
Aleksandar-Rachev:~ aleksandar.rachev$[/code]

However, I am unable to generate requests to that URL from the server hosting "orgonite-brasil.com":
:~$ curl -I -X GET "https://download.regularlabs.com/updates.xml?e=extensionmanager&type=.xml"
curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'download.regularlabs.com'
:~$

Let us know if we should relocate the website to a different data center, and which one in particular.

Note: the relocation process may take up to 72 hours. Site modifications should not be done until the relocation is completed, as they may be lost. During this time, you may be unable to access the site due to the nameserver and IP changes involved in the process.

Best Regards,

Aleksandar Rachev
________________________<__

Hope your hosting will be honest enough to explain how this is possible without being a block from their side and tell us why so we can resolve all together.

Also pls let them confirm explicitly that they whitewashed as mentioned above as relocating the site is the last resort but quite absurd.
It's a bit hard to see what parts are from you and what is the reply from Siteground.

Can you give the reply of Siteground that shows the new traceroute?
Hi Peter, sorry, i did a mistake on pasting and now edited tthe previous post to remove the irrelevant parts and show only last reply from siteground as was intended before...
Would you be willing to give me the access to your site and if possible also to the SSH, which I could pass on to my host Vimexx?
Then they can reproduce the issue and see it in action.
Then my host can try stuff out and see if it fixes the issue.

I think all of us are tired of this whole "Vimexx <-> Frustrated me <-> Frustrated you <-> Siteground" situation.
And Vimexx and Siteground both pointing the finger and this endless "It's fixed now... not it isn't" craziness.

You can use the 'Confidential information' button in the forum editor to hide sensitive information.
Hi Peter, sure I can

Confidential information:
(hidden)

Kind regards
Bernhatd
Reply from my host:
Thats message (Couldn't resolve host) is independent of any blocks.
This is due to not being able to resolve the DNS for download.regularlabs.com.
The cause of this can vary, but most of the time it is due to a problem in /etc/resolv.conf
Usually this can be solved by extending this file with the following 2 lines, for Google DNS:
name server 8.8.8.8
name server 8.8.4.4

In addition, it is possible that IPv6 is enabled, while it is not configured.
This could make it possible to try to connect over IPv6, while the network does not allow this.

A workaround to not use DNS at all, and to connect over IPv4 anyway, could also be applied.
You could define the host "fixed" in /etc/hosts with the following line:
185.220.175.129 download.regularlabs.com

Then the host will always resolve correctly 🙂

A curl 6 error is in any case a completely different error than the timeout from earlier.
The timeout was due to an error in our system, but this error should probably be resolved by SiteGround.
There is one possible cause that could still lie with us, namely when the internal resolver of SiteGround is blocked at our side.
To be able to check this, we would need to receive the IP address of SiteGround's internal resolver.

If there are any further questions, we'd love to hear from you!

Yours sincerely,
Arnold
Thanks Peter, will forward this to SG.

Regarding the last item
The timeout was due to an error in our system, but this error should probably be resolved by SiteGround.
There is one possible cause that could still lie with us, namely when the internal resolver of SiteGround is blocked at our side.
To be able to check this, we would need to receive the IP address of SiteGround's internal resolver.

I do refer to my previous post and request to confirm the whitelisting as there I did provide both, the website and Siteground server IP...
Vimexx already said they don't block that actively... But issue seems to affect a large 34.174.* range.
Latest response from Siteground:

-----

Jul 19, 2023 10:52

Thank you for the update, Bernhard.

After we carefully investigated the case and discussed it with our system administrators, no blocks are found on our end, however, they are blocking the connection our server is making.

In this case, there are two options:

* they can whitelist the requests on their end. Our server's IP Address: 34.174.21.196, your site IP address: 34.174.185.84
* or our system administrators can migrate your account to another data center where the problem is not present.

I am afraid that there is nothing else we could do on our end. As I explained in my previous reply, there is no possibility for us to make custom changes on our servers as they are preconfigured.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

I am leaving this ticket open and am looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Stela Chunova
SiteGround Technical Support
‐-------------------
Peter,
I'm very frustrated Bout such a huge overhead just to get updates working again from your server. But - if no solution is found today then I probably will have only choice to relocate complete site.

Before doing that pls confirm one detail I haven't got till now, is my site now currently whitelisted on your histvas Siteground requests?

Note that "not blocking" and whitelisting are two different things. I just want to confirm this to siteground so this argument gets out if the way and we can confirm at least your host did all he can do and issue is definitely only at Siteground.

Thanks in advande
Jim Sheridan's Avatar Jim Sheridan
Bernhard,

Jim here...

The solution is simple. Have SiteGround relocate your web hosting account to either the Los Angeles or Virginia data center. They can do that very quickly and without any loss of data or any need on your part to reconfigure anything.

Don't fight it Bernhard... Just relocate your entire web hosting account from your current SiteGround data center over to a different SG hosting location, that doesn't interfere with Regular Labs Extension Manager properly connecting to any "download.regularlabs.com" based URL.

It really doesn't matter who is right or wrong regarding where the blocking is occurring and 100% correcting the issue. You and anyone else reading this ticket have better things to do with your life, than to spend any more additional time going around and around in circles trying to "fix" this unfortunate connection issue.

Relocate to a different SG data center that has already been proven to allow a proper connection with Regular Labs Extension Manager, and then... Move on with your life my friend... Simply move on.

Jim
That will solve it for you indeed. That doesn’t help solve the actual issue, though.
Hi Peter, any news/confirmation
on this from your host side?
If not, seems like relocating my complete website seems last resort and unavoidable if I want to get your updates...
Peter,
I'm very frustrated Bout such a huge overhead just to get updates working again from your server. But - if no solution is found today then I probably will have only choice to relocate complete site.

Before doing that pls confirm one detail I haven't got till now, is my site now currently whitelisted on your histvas Siteground requests?

Note that "not blocking" and whitelisting are two different things. I just want to confirm this to siteground so this argument gets out if the way and we can confirm at least your host did all he can do and issue is definitely only at Siteground.

Thanks in advande
You can only post on this forum if you log in