Advanced Module Manager crashes websites?

Search
Other Pre-Sale questions
Forum

Advanced Module Manager crashes websites?

Tamara's Avatar Tamara
Hi there,

I've been pondering buying the pro version of Advanced Module Manager, but every time I install it on a site, sites that work fine suddenly start having connection problems on and off.

As soon as I uninstall it, they work fine again.

Any ideas what's behind that?

I obviously don't want to spend money on anything that will cause more problems than it solves!

Thanks.
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
I haven't had any reports about that yet.

So your website is getting issues when the free version is installed?
Are the issues on the frontend or the admin side? And on what pages? When editing modules?
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Tamara's Avatar Tamara
Hi,

Yes, it's the free version. Mostly happens when editing modules. Has happened on several websites. I always end up uninstalling, and that solves the problem.

I like the tool. I just can't use it because it messes with all the sites I try it on.
I would need to see the issue in action and be able to investigate to know what is causing it.
Do you have the issue with the latest version of Advanced Module Manager?
Do you get any errors? A white page?
Tamara's Avatar Tamara
I will screenshot it the next time it happens.
A screenshot won't help me much. I would need to be able to see the issue in action. If you get the issue, try switching on the Error Reporting in the Joomla configuration (to 'Development') to see if you can see an error.
Tamara's Avatar Tamara
Hi again,

It doesn't happen every time, and it's not predictable when it will happen. The site I am working on right now is brand new, so I will turn it to development mode to figure this out, before I start promoting the site.

This has happened with every site I have used this on for a while now. It always resolves itself when I uninstall this tool.

Regards,

Tamara
Tamara's Avatar Tamara
Just happened. Here's what it says on the module page:

Error
An error has occurred while fetching the JSON data: HTTP 0 status code. error
Tamara's Avatar Tamara
Then I get this:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Only happens when I have Advanced Module Manager installed on my sites. As soon as I uninstall, they work fine again.
Advanced Module Manager loads the html for larger select fields via ajax, to prevent too much HTML and data from being loaded all on 1 pageload.
So when you open the module edit page there will be a number of concurrent ajax page loads (via JSON) in the background.

It looks like your host is using some form of throttling to prevent a single IP address from making 'too many' concurrent URL requests, and will block the page from loading more. Hosts that do this are usually cheap and below standard quality. And do these things because their resources are low.

So this is an issue with your host that they should solve for you.
If they can't or won't remove the throttling, my advice is to look for a different host.

I also recommend you switch off any assignments you never use or want to use in the Advanced Module Manager global settings. This can lower the number of form fields, and therefore the number of ajax requests, the edit page needs to make.
Tamara's Avatar Tamara
Uninstalled to test if the problem goes away. It does.

However, now I have these errors when I go to the assignments page:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$show_color in /home/g5nul54swmdg/public_html/components/com_roksprocket/lib/RokSprocket/Addon/AdvancedModuleManager/module/edit/edit_assignment.php on line 102

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$show_color in /home/g5nul54swmdg/public_html/components/com_roksprocket/lib/RokSprocket/Addon/AdvancedModuleManager/module/edit/edit_assignment.php on line 118

I've noticed there is a long time conflict between this component and Roksprocket. could this be causing the problem I've been having? I don't want to get rid of Roksprocket either.
Yes, Rocksprocket has never played nice with Advanced Module Manager.
You can't use them together.
You can only post on this forum if you log in