Search
Other Extension Manager questions
Forum

PHP8.1

Hans-Günter Heiserholt's Avatar Hans-Günter Heiserholt
Hi Peter,

a new version for the extention-Manager is announced.

It decreases to PHP8.1

Does that mean, that PHP8.0.40 ist supported anymore?

My hoster says, that there is act. no PHP.8.1 or 8.2 avaylible to my site in the next weeks.

What can I do? Any workaround?
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
You will need to wait for your host to update to a version of PHP that is not end-of-life, before you can update again.
Or move to a host that does value the security and performance of your sites.

www.php.net/supported-versions.php
It has been 1 year and 9 months ago since PHP 8.1 came out.
It has been 9 months since active support for PHP 8.1 has stopped.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
I have set back the minimum requirement of the Joomla 3 versions to PHP 7.4.
The Joomla 4 versions will still need PHP 8.1 or higher.
Hi Peter,

as long as Joomla4 will allow Php 8+ and in minimum PHP 7.2.5,

www.joomla.de/joomla/anforderungen

I think it is not a good idea to support only PHP 8.1 with the 3rd party komponents.

My hoster isn't able at the Moment to switch yust in time to PHP 8.1
Only 8.0.40 is availibal at the moment.
Changing the hister to someone with PHP8.1 is a very useless idea.

In my opinion PHP 8.0.X should be the minimum.
PHP 8.0 has issues. If your host cannot update to PHP 8.1 or 8.0 they do not care about the performance and security of your site. Look for a different host.
See: www.php.net/supported-versions.php
Hi Peter,
sorry, but every software has issues.
My host says, that he will upgrade to 8.1 or 8.2? In the next month, until end of year 2023.

I don't understand why 8.0 can't be the minimum for that time.

When a user has probs with 8.0, he can upgrade to 8.1 or what ever, if his host is already able to run it.

I myself have not recognised issues in 8.0.

So give yourself a kick, to set 8.0 as the minimum for your extentions.
So I can run all act. upgrades of your extentions.

regards HGH
Either move to a different host, or disable the update sites for the Regular Labs extensions.
You can still use all the Regular Labs extensions of course. You will just not be able to update them.

And no, I am not going to lower the minimum requirement to 8.0 for the Joomla 4 extensions.
sorry peter,
but that's exactly what bothers me.
There is a sudden switch to PHP 8.1 and those affected are recommended to look for another host - great.
Not to mention that all this means work and costs.
I wish there was a little more accommodation and, above all, the users of your extensions should be made aware of what the PHP roadmap looks like for you in good time. But just shooting it from the hip doesn't work at all.
In short, I don't agree with the procedure, but unfortunately I can't do anything due to the situation except wait and see.
If I have problems with your Ext., I will continue to turn to you, even if I already know the answer.
Mehr zu diesem AusgangstextFür weitere Übersetzungsinformationen ist ein Ausgangstext erforderlich
Georg Klaißner's Avatar Georg Klaißner
I also agree with Hans-Günter that I do not agree with this procedure
See here: www.php.net/supported-versions.php
PHP 8.0 is end-of-life. Pretty much just like Joomla 3 is.

You are free to use end-of-life software. Just don't expect developers to keep supporting those on new releases.

Again: feel free to keep using the latest versions of the extensions that work on PHP 8.0.
>> PHP 8.0 is end-of-life.

EndOfLive starts for me, when no security patches are beeing made.
This date is after 26 Nov 2023!
Ok
Georg Klaißner's Avatar Georg Klaißner
Peter,

I totally understand your attempt to keep the requirements for your extensions as "narrow" as possible - specially since you already try to make your extensions Joomla5 (requires php 8.1.x) compatible already ... a BIG respect from my side to you for this!

But lets face facts: current stable release is Joomla4 (4.3.4) and has a minimum requirement 7.2.5 (recommended 8.0) for php ... experiences in past (and looking into their issues list) let me guess, that the planned release of Joomla5 next month will also experience an expected delay ... hopefully a little less than with J4 😉

The basic intention of min_php_version is imho to avoid users running extensions using methods/functions not implemented yet (or working differently) in the installed php version to avoid unexpected behaviours (which I think is a VERY good idea).

Of course, php 7.x may already have and php 8.0 may soon have security issues once the life time for its security patches is over.

But this is not of any concern for an extension developer. Here the security focus lies totally on the extension itself and I doubt very much that your extensions are less secure with 8.0 than with 8.1+ 😉
Thanks for your opinions. This topic is now closed.
You can only post on this forum if you log in