Problems after working with Advanced Modul Manager

Search
Other Bug Reports questions
Forum

Problems after working with Advanced Modul Manager

dagmar betz's Avatar dagmar betz
Hi, I am using Advanced Modul Manager on a development enviroment. After some hours working with the conditions (the website is usign a lot of modules for header footer sidebar etc. and there are much assignments / conditions necessary...), the frontpage crashed and shows a "HTTP ERROR 500". My Hoster found out that my IP was blocked because of too much requests (maybe with missing images, broken scripts or something like that). He removes the IP from the block-list and I could work without problems - for about 15 minutes. Then the same issue happened. I made a fresh IP and could work again for a little while. But the problem got worse. the page was no longer accessable.

after deactivating the advanced module manager it seems working again. but now - of course - all modules are visible on all pages. so we have a lot of footers, headers, menues.... we can't continue working like this... we have to fix the problem instead.

do you have an idea what could be the problem? one assumption is that the server is too weak, perhaps the plugin generates a lot of processes that the server can not handle?

I would like to hear your opinion and I would like to continue using the plugin as it gives us very good possibilities...

---

Database Version 8.0.33-25
PHP Version 8.1.23
Joomla! Version Joomla! 4.3.4 Stable [ Bora ] 22-August-2023 16:00 GMT
Advanced Module Manager 10.0.1
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
First step would be for the host to identify what urls (requests) are the issue.

Advanced Module Manager doesn't normally increase the number of requests. As the page is all rendered by Joomla on pageload.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Confidential information:
(hidden)
Hi, I have sent you an excerpt from the logfile. you'll see the last minutes before the error 500 has happened. It would be great if you could help.
Actually we are using the free version. We are happy to buy the pro version if it is working for us without errors. I look forward to your feedback.
There are all sorts of urls in that log. Not only Advanced Module Manager urls.
Probably your host has applied a very low and strict maximum number of requests per second.
So when a page does multiple ajax requests it hits that limit.

Not something I can fix for you. It would be something your host should fix or sort out.

Or: move to a host that offers a better service.
yes, I also thought about that. so we have already moved to another server (hetzner). same issue was happened. and again, by working with the module. other colleagues were working in the project with normal content updates, there were no problems. the error was happened multiple times only when I worked with the module.

One hint: Maybe we are using the module more extensive than ohter users: I have created a lot of conditions for headers, footers, menues, sidebars...

what is the difference to the pro version? does it make sense to test the pro version, could that help?
one more hint: in the first steps (few weeks ago) I have configured every module with "include" and "menu items".
in the phase, where the error has happened, I have worked in this way: I have created one condition set for example area 1. in other modules I have used the option "other condition set" and used the area 1. when I think about that.... maybe this will trigger more server load?
what is the recommended procedure for such usages?
See my previous reply.

The Pro version won't change that for you.
Thanks, but what's about my question concerning the recommended procedure? I have described above how we use the module and that we are using a lot of conditions. How is the recommended / usually way to handle several conditions and how much conditions are recommended / possible in the practice usage? resp: how do users normally use the module, in which scale?
The idea behind the condition sets is that you can reuse them. But you can combine conditions and condition sets any way you want. There is no real recommended way. Use whatever fits your needs.

For further support, please purchase a subscription.
You can only post on this forum if you log in