Search
Other Articles Field questions
Forum

Ordering of Articles

Roy Chappell's Avatar Roy Chappell
Hi Peter

I'm trying to set the order of the articles selected, using the dropdown option. This is the order that I want to save them in.

However when I save the article the order changes

I have tried a few of the order options in the custom field.

What could I be doing wrong

Roy
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
The ordering setting only affects the order of the items in the frontend output.
In what order the items are saved (and show up in the select list) is not controlled and doesn't really matter.

The Order by "Ordering" means the order given to the articles in the article manager.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Roy Chappell's Avatar Roy Chappell
Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply.

It might be a good idea to have the ability to turn of the ordering in the custom fields admin. That way I can enter them in the order I want and the system doesn't change the order.

just a thought

thanks
Roy
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
The order they are saved in is more of a default HTML thing. And is down to the standard select field script Joomla uses.

The form data sent, simply contains the selected options in the order they appear in the list of items of the select field.
The order of selecting items doesn't change that.

So this is not really behavior I can change... unless I create a completely custom select field script and override the way in which the form data is processed before sending it when you hit save.
Not something I am going to do.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription