Search
Other Articles Anywhere questions
Forum

Joomla 3 can't update extention manager, tooltips,models,articles anywhere

Philip Leifer's Avatar Philip Leifer
Peter:
I'm still on Joomla 3 and I find I can't update extention manager, tooltips, models, and articles anywhere. I get the following message:

Warning
Joomla\CMS\Filesystem\Folder::create: Could not create folder.Path: /home/ pleifer
Before updating ensure that the update is compatible with your Joomla! installation.
You are strongly advised to make a backup of your site's files and database before you start updating.

(note the space before pleifer)

A week ago, I migrated my site from Hostgator to Simple Source Solutions. The path to the backend used to begin with /home3/pleifer/ but after migration it's /home/pleifer. (no space before pleifer).

How do I fix things so I can do the updates?

Phil Leifer
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
This has nothing to do with my extensions.
Something is wrong in your setup. Probably the paths in your configuration are not set correctly.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Peter:
You were right. I fixed the configuration, and downloaded and installed the latest version of Articles Anywhere in my Joomla 3 website fvbresidents.org. I specifically wanted to see whether the latest version would fix a problem I’ve been having for some time, but unfortunately it hasn’t. Here’s the problem:
There are 31 articles in the Category Dailys, each corresponding to a day of the month. Their titles are A10xx23, where 10 is the month (October), xx is the day of the month, and 23 the year. Each article’s content is a daily schedule of activities for that particular day. The publication date of each article matches the day of the month that the article corresponds to, and the time of midnight (00:00:00). Another article, Atrium Landscapes (found under the front-end menu item Displays) contains the code:
{articles category="Dailys" publish_up="date('today')"}{/articles}
This code uses Articles Anywhere to display the contents of an article which is in the Category Dailys and whose publication date matches the current day’s date (today).
This code used to work. Now what it does is begin displaying the contents of the correct article at midnight for 20 hours right up to exactly 8:00pm U.S. Eastern Standard Time. Then the content disappears, replaced by blank space until midnight, when the next day’s article content appears. This happens every day, instead of continuing the display until midnight. The Website Time Zone is set to New York in Server tab of Global configuration. Same problem under php 8.1 or 8.0. No problem in a Joomla 4 version of same website that’s under development on a local machine running under WAMP.
Can you please research this problem, and either fix it, or tell me how I can fix it? Thank you.
Regards,
Phil Leifer
Try:
{articles category="Dailys" publish_up="date('today') to date('tomorrow')"}
Peter:

Unfortunately, adding to date('tomorrow') plus the closing tag {/articles} doesn't work.
Additional thoughts and questions:
There is no problem on my Joomla 4 local machine. I can even turn off any connection to the internet, and it still works. This makes me think there's something funny about the server clock my new host is using.
Does Articles anywhere require all hours minutes and seconds match today's date and time for the article with today's publication date to be loaded?
Does the replacement of yesterday's article content with today's article content begin with the deletion of the contents of yesterday's article? If it does, and the replacement process is aborted because the match of date and time is too brief for completion of the replacement, that would leave the blank screen I see. Possibly some kind of race condition in the server clock's digits make the match briefly occur again at 8:00pm?

Phil
It is probably down to a weird offset issue either in the Joomla setup (check the global configuration) or the database...
Peter:

I'm happy to report that your last suggestion resulted in changing the php date.timezone setting from UTC to America/NewYork. This has fixed the problem.
Thank you for your advice and patience.

Best Regards,
Phil Leifer
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription