Search
Other Articles Anywhere questions
Forum

Maximum inodes exceeded due to number of files in .administrator/cache/regularla​bs

Robert Fairhead's Avatar Robert Fairhead
Hi Peter,

My websites on a shared hosting service became unavailable on Sunday evening. And when I called support, I was told the maximum inodes had been exceeded for my account. Drilling down by the support team revealed 99,600+ files of my 300,000 limit were in a folder on my Joomla website (tallandtrue.com.au): ./administrator/cache/regularlabs

I looked at these files this morning, most are small (49 bytes), and they date from April 18, 2023. Unsure what to do next, I contacted a more experienced Joomla developer (who uses most of your extensions), and he helped me find this related support topic from 2 years ago:

regularlabs.com/forum/bugreports/48396-o...in-regularlabs-cache

According to your Extension Manager, I have the latest version of Articles Anywhere Pro (13.2.2). Still, I followed your suggestion, changed the Advanced settings for the plugin (this created a regularlabs_query folder) and removed the regularlabs folder and files from the cache folder (and this has since been recreated automatically).

My use of Articles Anywhere is fairly basic regarding selection criteria (I insert articles with standard sections, so there's no date-based querying or anything similar). But I use it on every page and in several places.

Is there a cache setting I need to set elsewhere to clean up the files in the regularlabs cache? Or do you need Admin access to explore the problem further?

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Robert
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
So did you empty the cache folder manually? And is the issue still there that you have 10000 files again? Of just a few hundred?
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Thanks for getting back to me, Peter.

I removed the regularlabs cache folder and its 99,600+ files. There are currently 195 files in the new cache folder and regularlabs_query.

My question should be: How do I stop the cache folder from growing to another 99,000+ files in 3 months? Do I have to monitor it manually?

Regards, Robert
Well, that fix you linked to should solve that issue. So it shouldn't grow to that size anymore.
I'm sorry, Peter, I'm a little confused. The topic was from 2 years ago, and the files in my regularlabs cache were from April 2023. The version of my Articles Anywhere plugin can't be the same as in 2021, so are you saying that by deleting the files in the cache folder, I've solved the issue? And I can now reset the Advanced Settings and remove the regularlabs_query folder without worrying about the cache files growing any more.
Rgds, Robert
The initial issue was solved back then.
So going by that, it should already be solved.
Keep an eye out on that cache folder. If you see it growing like crazy, then something else is wrong. Let me know...
Okay, thanks, I'll monitor the regularlabs cache folder. But given the files dated from April 18, 2023, unless something clears the cache, I suspect I'll be back in contact with you in 3 months' time.

Regards, Robert
Andrea Malalana's Avatar Andrea Malalana ADMIN
Instead of waiting all this time, take a look at the files that are getting created by the cache in that folder.

Are there multiple files created in the same minute?

And if so, try to open them up. Are they extremely similar files with very similar queries?

Can you identify where those queries are coming from? If so, you (or we) could spot some optimizations to be done.
Peter Hellinger's Avatar Peter Hellinger
Got an info from my hoster this morning, same problem: to much files in folder.
Switched "Cache database queries" in the Plugin to NO (as mentioned in the older thread) but for each page impression I get some 100 new files in /administrator/cache/regularlabs

Joomla 4.2.3, Articles Anywhere 13.2.3 (just installed this morning).

Best regards, Peter
Can you give me (super) admin and (s)ftp access so I can take a look?
And tell me on what url I can see/reproduce the issue.
You can use the 'Confidential information' button in the forum editor to hide sensitive information.
Site: jazz-institut-berlin.de
The sub pages Events, People, Institute and Imprint are with many Articles Anywhere calls.

Access Info:
Confidential information:
(hidden)
Thanks for adding to my forum topic, Peter Hellinger.

Just as a point of interest, I could have provided you with these access details for my website, Peter van Westen. But given Peter Hellinger's problems sound identical to mine, I'm sure your investigation will solve the issue for both of us and other Articles Anywhere Pro subscribers.

Regards, Robert
Please try the latest development version from:
regularlabs.com/development-releases
Plugin with "Cache database queries" = Global
Empty the cache directory, load sub page = >200 files.

Plugin with "Cache database queries" = No
Empty the cache directory, load sub page = 0 files.

Works for me. 🙂

Thank you, Peter.
@Peter: I switched the caching of the DB Queries back on on your site. After browsing a couple of sub pages, it has created a total of 111 files. Which looks fine. And over a few days, this might grow a bit. But it should NOT create tens of thousands.
Could you keep an eye on this to see if it all goes well?
So in the latest dev release 2 things have been fixed:

1)
When setting the "Cache DB Queries" to "No" it would still cache the queries in some/most cases. That's fixed.

2)
Queries that check for the published state of articles (which most main queries do) include a check for the publish up/down dates, comparing them to the current date/time.
That maked those queries all unique, as the time changes with every query. That would cache a new cache file for every one of those queries, making the cache pretty useless.
It will now ignore the 'now' dates when it creates an ID for the cache file. So that fixes the duplication issue.
Actual, there are 138 files. Multiple page views on the same page (People for example) did not grow the files, thats perfect.
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription