GeoIp

Regions / States with special character

3 months 2 weeks ago #78507

Thomas Moor's Avatar Thomas Moor

Dear all,

After testing GeoIP with the newly purchased Adv. Module Manager, it seams that GeoIP is not working when including/excluding Regions with special character. Unfortunately, there are quite a few in Switzerland.

When checking the IP at www.maxmind.com/en/geoip2-precision-demo it shows me "Embrach, Zurich, Switzerland, Europe" as location. In the dropdown-list of the module assignment it shows "Switzerland:Z├╝rich" . Using this particular value the filter is not working. Same test with a Region without special character it works perfect. Postal Codes are working in both examples, which is why I assume that it is up to the translation of the list. Any suggestions?

Thank & Best regards
Thomas

3 months 2 weeks ago #78508

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen Admin

The special characters should not matter.
The GeoIP assignment uses the region code, not the name.
It will see if the region code is 'ZH'.

What data do you see on this page?
www.regularlabs.com/geoip.php

3 months 2 weeks ago #78509

PS: you can give it a specific IP address in the url:

https://www.regularlabs.com/geoip.php?ip=...

3 months 2 weeks ago #78510

Hello Peter,
Thanks for the quick reply.

Following your URL, I get different location details. This would then also explain why it didn't work - the region code your page is getting back is completely wrong.

GeoIP Location Results for IP [217.162.132.199]
Continent Code EU
Continent Europe
Country Code CH
Country Switzerland
Region Codes TG
Regions Thurgau
Postal Code 8572

Response from Maxmind for IP [217.162.132.199] with correct Postal Code and City, State:
Country Code CH
Location Embrach, Zurich
Postal Code 8424
Approximate Coordinates* 47.5056, 8.5941
Accuracy Radius 20

Thanks for clarify
Thomas

3 months 2 weeks ago #78511

The Regular Labs GeoIP library uses the MaxMind GeoIP Lite database. This is less exact/complete than the paid MaxMind GeoIp2 library.
Don't know why there would be a difference in data for know Ip addresses between these two, though.

3 months 2 weeks ago #78512

I understand, thank you for the transparence.
The radius in the Lite DB must be then bigger to justify the result .. I am not sure if the "Regions filter" will help us under these circumstances.

Thanks for your support!