Extension Manager

General "Check for Updates" in Joomla hangs after installing Nonumber Extension Manager

3 years 9 months ago #35834

RA's Avatar RA

Hi there,

I've been experiencing this problem for awhile. On any new Joomla website, as soon as I install NoNumber Regular Labs extension manager with Add to Menu/Cache Cleaner for the back end, the general Extension update for Joomla no longer works. I don't know what it's doing exactly as it never produces any sort of an error message - it just sits there forever at "loading". As soon as I uninstalled nonumber it was able to update just fine.

While I realize that these extensions can't be updated using the regular Joomla extension manager, they seem to be blocking the upgrade of everything else somehow. This is on an out of the box Joomla install. Not sure what the issue is. If I had an error message, I'd post it. I'm guessing it's something with the server that Nonumber Regular Labs is using for extension updates or how it handles those requests, but there's no way to remove that without editing the database.

3 years 9 months ago #35845

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen Admin

You probably have something else on you setup (non-standard admin template or some admin module) that is causing javascript conflicts.

3 years 9 months ago #35851

RA's Avatar RA

I've using the stock Joomla admin template on a fresh installation.

/administrator/index.php?option=com_installer&view=update is what's getting called and it just sits there at (Pending) if I use the network inspector in Chrome, and never fails or gets beyond that, just forever a "Waiting for blah.com" message.

(Is there some better debugging mode for Joomla than enabling "debug" and turning maximum errors on? you'd think it would catch an issue with the update somewhere/they'd have a timeout or some sort of error checking on the update process, but there's nothing in any log).

So I looked a little deeper again... in editing the "update_sites" table and toggling the sites off and on (the only ones in there are the standard Joomla ones and the Nonumber Regular Labs sites) - it seems to do the Joomla core and Joomla extensions one okay (at least "last_check_timestamp" is updated) and then it stops at "Accredited Joomla! Translations - update.joomla.org/language/translationlist_3.xml " and the last_check_timestamp is never updated. I do not have multilanguage enabled. The nonumber extensions are all checked after this one.

I guess it's not Nonumber Regular Labs, then. It's strange that uninstalling it seemed to fix the problem on one of my sites, and the site that it's working on now still has the translationlist update site enabled as usual, but another site that is essentially barebones still has the issue. If I set "enabled" to 1 for the language translations update site in that one, it never completes, but it checks updates fine if it's disabled. I'd debug this but short of using xdebug or some other lower level PHP debugger, I don't think the standard Joomla error reporting methods are doing anything useful here).

(By the way - I noticed that when you have the non-Pro versions installed of Nonumber Regular Labs extensions and then upgrade to the Pro version and update all the extensions, the update site lines for the free extensions that were upgraded to pro versions remain in and enabled in the update_sites table - but then are duplicated afterwards for the Pro versions, with the extra_query having the license key (k=whatever). Is that intended behavior or should those be removed when they are uninstalled and then the Pro versions are installed? Since I think it's going to check all of them if they're all enabled which seems like it would be doubling the hits you get unintentionally).

3 years 9 months ago #35863

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen Admin

So it looks like it is an issue on your server not related to my extensions.
Probably your server is blocking the Joomla update checks or is very slow and causing timeouts.

The duplicate update lines in the update_sites database table will be fixed in next releases.
If you install the pro, the row should get updated. Now it creates a new row.

3 years 9 months ago #35882

RA's Avatar RA

It's not the server, this happens on different servers with different setups. It works fine no matter how many update sites I have, until that one is enabled. I'll report this to the Joomla devs I guess.