Email Protector

How to use Email Protector

4 years 6 months ago #24857

G Behrman's Avatar G Behrman

I looked through all the NoNumber Regular Labs web pages but can find no information about how to use this plugin. Even the User Guide, which suggests in item 1 it will tell you how to use the plugin, does not.

As a Joomla 3 newbie I would appreciate any help to put me on the right track.

On my backend, the Plugin Manager - System NoNumber Regular Labs Email Protector screen I am using the system defaults.

Do I need to add any code where I want the (cloaked) email address to appear on the frontend or will the email address be automatically cloaked just because the plugin is enabled?

Thanks

4 years 6 months ago #24883

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen Admin

It is pretty self-explanatory.

Just install and make sure it is enabled and it just works.
No need for code.

4 years 2 months ago #30376

Bruce Howard's Avatar Bruce Howard

Hi,
I too am a newbie. I have an existing site (Joomla 2.5.22) with existing content with email addresses coded as mailto links in a custom html module and in articles (<a href="mailto: ">).

Do I need to open each page and resave it? Do I need to use some special code? How do I know it is working?

There are four options on the plugin configuration screen. What do these options mean?

4 years 2 months ago #30377

Like said above, simply install it and it should work.
To see if it works check the HTML output. That means the 'view page source's and NOT the 'inspect element' option.

4 years 2 months ago #30378

Is this what I should be seeing ?
<a href=""><a href="javascript:// This email address is being protected from spambots."><span class="cloaked_email" id="ep_b4b153fc"><span data-ep-bbf9a="" data-ep-afe55="&#97;&#109;&#115;&#116;"><span data-ep-bbf9a="&#110;&#101;&#116;" data-ep-afe55="&#101;rk&#64;"><span data-ep-bbf9a="&#97;&#115;&#116;&#46;" data-ep-afe55="&#99;&#111;&#109;&#99;"></span></span></span></span></a><script type="text/javascript">emailProtector.addCloakedMailto("ep_b4b153fc", 1);</script></a>

Seems like I should not be seeing the real email address in the source code.

4 years 2 months ago #30380

No, that isn't correct.
Do you have this online so I can take it look?

4 years 2 months ago #30384

Seems to be working now. Turned off then on the plugins. Opened and resaved each page with an email address on it.

4 years 2 months ago #30392

Looks like a caching issue. Try playing around with the system plugin ordering. See: www.regularlabs.com/news/blog/242-plugin-order-is-important and
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN7A0G8yBx8

4 years 2 months ago #30401

That article states:

The best ordering for your system plugins is:
Any other plugins
SEO and SEF plugins
Cache plugins
Which of these three categories does Email Protector fall under?

4 years 2 months ago #30406

It is not a SEF/SEO plugin and has nothing to do with cache. So: Any other plugins

4 years 2 months ago #30420

Only using the Joomla core. I note that the Email Protector is "0" in the ordering.
Anyway, all is working. So thank you. Good extension.

4 years 2 months ago #30421

David Ascher's Avatar David Ascher

Sorry to be a pain but I just downloaded and installed Joomla 3.3.2 and then noticed that all my email links were suddenly appearing on a new line... I then saw your email protector plugin and confidently downloaded the latest version.

I turned off the Joomla native email cloaker and turned yours on.

Unfortunately, my email links do not work at all now. I get
with the default ("Leave as is") setting AND with the setting "as linkable mailto address" AND

javascript://This email address is being protected from spambots

If I choose "non-linkable text" I see non-linkable text.

I also found that a page that has a lot of email addresses times out (see http://dave4.folkworks.org/calendar )

examining a page like this one http://dave4.folkworks.org/folk-happenings/ongoing-music with firebug (on Chrome) shows me a lot of errors
Uncaught ReferenceError: emailProtector is not defined

something looks pretty broken. Maybe it is something specific to my set of plugins or maybe it is more generic? but this is not the "email protection" I expected.

4 years 2 months ago #30422

I see that your plugin is using addScriptDeclaration. I have seen that another plugin that used this function also failed to have the script added to the page. Again, I don't know if this is a problem with MY set of plugins or a general issue with Joomla 3.3.x.

4 years 2 months ago #30429

Then you probably have an issue with your template. Or indeed a plugin which empties the scripts list.

4 years 1 month ago #30801

As you predicted, the problem was in the template.

I have finally found where the template was clearing out the embedded scripts with an unset $document->_script and removed that. That uncovered several other bugs that I've been living with for a while but have not seen before due to the unset bug.

After much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair I believe I have cleaned the stables and all works just fine now. Almost.

I have a page on a test site at ( http://dave4.folkworks.org/calendar ) which contains 80 instances of email addresses. If I use the Joomla native emailcloak plugin the page works just fine and displays within 2 or 3 seconds. With the Nonumber Regular Labs Email Protector, the page times out after 45 seconds.

Other pages with fewer email addresses seem to work okay with NN Email Protector.

Does this make sense to you? I wouldn't have expected the processing of each of the email addresses to take significant time. 45 seconds is an eternity.

What might I be doing wrong now?

4 years 1 month ago #30827

That shouldn't happen.Looks like some weird looping issue.
Can you give me (super) admin and ftp access so I can take a look?
You can use the 'confidential' tags in the forum editor.

4 years 1 month ago #30832

site for you is http://dave4.folkworks.org

Confidential information:
(hidden)

let me know if you have any problem getting in.

4 years 1 month ago #30833

I would also need ftp access.

4 years 1 month ago #30834

Never mind: I have copied your full page html to my local site and will be bugfixing on that.
I'll let you know when I have a fix asap.

4 years 1 month ago #30840

I have sent you a new version to test out. Let me know if that fixes the issue.