Components Anywhere

Components Anywhere has Stopped Working

3 months 1 week ago #91336

Jim Brooking's Avatar Jim Brooking

My home page ( www.fearringtonfha.org ) contains the following code:

{tab Features}
{component url="index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=1867"}
{tab News}
{component url="index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=10&Itemid=1044"}
{tab Events}
{article 4915}[text]{/article}
{tab Groups}
{article 97}[text]{/article}
{tab Board}
{article 406}[text]{/article}
{/tabs}
I noticed just an hour ago that the two components are not being displayed. The page source indicates an error in the URL, but the pages referenced by the URLs load properly.
id="groups" role="tab" aria-controls="groups" aria-selected="false"><span class="rl_tabs-toggle-inner nn_tabs-toggle-inner">Groups</span></a></li>
<li class="rl_tabs-tab nn_tabs-tab nav-item" ><a href="#board" title="Board" class="rl_tabs-toggle nn_tabs-toggle nav-link" id="tab-board" data-toggle="tab" data-id="board" role="tab" aria-controls="board" aria-selected="false"><span class="rl_tabs-toggle-inner nn_tabs-toggle-inner">Board</span></a></li>
</ul>
<!--googleon: index-->
<div class="tab-content">
<div class="tab-pane rl_tabs-pane nn_tabs-pane active" id="features" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="tab-features" aria-hidden="false">
<a id="anchor-features" class="anchor"></a><h2 class="rl_tabs-title nn_tabs-title">Features</h2>
<!-- START: Components Anywhere --><!--  Components Anywhere Message: The component cannot be placed because an invalid URL is given or the page timed out. --><!-- END: Components Anywhere -->
</div>
<div class="tab-pane rl_tabs-pane nn_tabs-pane" id="news" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="tab-news" aria-hidden="true">
<a id="anchor-news" class="anchor"></a><h2 class="rl_tabs-title nn_tabs-title">News</h2>
<!-- START: Components Anywhere --><!--  Components Anywhere Message: The component cannot be placed because an invalid URL is given or the page timed out. --><!-- END: Components Anywhere -->
</div>
<div class="tab-pane rl_tabs-pane nn_tabs-pane" id="events" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="tab-events" aria-hidden="true">
<a id="anchor-events" class="anchor"></a><h2 class="rl_tabs-title nn_tabs-title">Events</h2>
<p><div class='mod_events_latest_data'  id='mod_events_latest_89_data'><div class="mod_events_latest_table">
<h5>Tuesday March 31</h5>
<ul>
Can you tell why? My site is quite disabled, and my management is furious.

Thanks,
Jim Brooking
www.fearringtonfha.org

3 months 1 week ago #91337

I am going to change my site's home page to provide links to the necessary pages. You can find an exact duplicate of the failing home page at

Confidential information:
(hidden)

3 months 1 week ago #91338

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen Admin

Do the urls of the components you are trying to place, redirect to a different (maybe a sef) url?

3 months 1 week ago #91339

No, we don't use SEF URLs.

3 months 1 week ago #91340

Looks like some weird caching going on too.

Can you give me (super) admin and (s)ftp access so I can take a look?
You can use the 'Hidden text' button in the forum editor to hide the confidential information.

3 months 1 week ago #91341

SU credentials:
www.fearringtonfha.org

(hidden)

FTP:
ftp.fearringtonfha.org
(hidden)

3 months 1 week ago #91342

Also turned off Cloudflare. That ("Development Mode") lasts only 3 hours, they say. So if you need it turned off please let me know.

3 months 1 week ago #91343

What is the administrator url? Seems it is protected.

3 months 1 week ago #91344

Sorry -- Top (blue menu) on home page after you login there: Hover over "Admin" and click "Access Admin and login again for the back end.

3 months 1 week ago #91345

This is the url Components Anywhere tries to read for that first tag:

index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=1867&lang=en-GB&tmpl=component&rendercomponent=1
This url loads fine in the browser. But returns a "403 - Forbidden Error" when php tries to load it via cUrl (or other methods).
This is outside the control of Components Anywhere and is down to something on your server.
It is probably a server setting. Ask your host why this is happening.

3 months 1 week ago #91346

Just to be clear, I entered the full URL you cited above as

https://www.fearringtonfha.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=1867&lang=en-GB&tmpl=component&rendercomponent=1
and the browser displayed what looks like the source for the requested component, as a l-o-n-g character string. Is that the expected display?

3 months 1 week ago #91347

yes, that is correct.

3 months 1 week ago #91352

Peter - Thanks for helping me to work through this. The following is a follow-up to a support request I'd made to Siteground on Friday March 27:

FYI the second IP address you recommended I block, 35.209.234.165, is that of my domain, fearringtonfha.org. I failed to notice this, and blocked it through the .htaccess file. This effectively turned off a Joomla component needed by my site to run properly, as the component executes a legitimate cURL request against the site to retrieve content, and blocking the site's own IP address prevented the cURL from executing. I am reporting this in hope your team will learn from this experience, and not recommend blocking a site's own IP address.

3 months 1 week ago #91353

😁 👍