Components Anywhere

Components Anywhere not rendering component

4 months 6 days ago #77347

de Webcompagnons's Avatar de Webcompagnons

Hi Peter,

I created two modules of the custom html type on the page mentioned below, which are each supposed to show a category blog using Components Anywhere. These category blogs are defined in hidden menu items. The reason for using Components Anywhere is that I made quite an extensive template override for the category blog. I did not want to re-create this override for modules.

However, the html shows the dreaded message:

Components Anywhere Message: De component kan niet worden geïnstalleerd omdat een ongeldige URL werd gegeven of de pagina heeft een time-out bereikt.

I have been trying to change settings, urls and so on but nothing seems to work. Perhaps you can take a look at it? I've added some details in the hidden text. Please note that, although the page is a hidden test page, the site is a live site!

Confidential information:
(hidden)

Kind regards!

4 months 6 days ago #77349

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen Admin

Your server seems to be blocking the curl call Components Anywhere does to load in the components content.
This could be due to some firewall/security extension you have installed in Joomla that is getting in the way. Or some server setting/module.
Best to ask your host if they can see what is blocking this.

4 months 6 days ago #77354

Thanks Peter,

I'll ask the hosting provider (Siteground).

On a parallel track: you also mentioned the possibility of a firewall extension getting in the way. We have Akeeba AdminTools running; I already looked at it but couldn't find out if there is a conflict going on there. Are there any known issues that you know of?

Kind regards,

Frits

4 months 6 days ago #77355

Can you also give me (s)ftp access so I can take a deeper look?

4 months 6 days ago #77358

Thanks for yor reply. Details are in the hidden text.

(hidden)

Frits

4 months 6 days ago #77365

The url call (using Joomla's built in Http class) is returning a '403 - Forbidden Error'.
The admin login you gave doesn't work. So I can't check if any other extensions could be causing this.

See if you can temporarily switch off Akeeba Admintools.

4 months 6 days ago #77370

Disabling AdminTools did not make any difference. I re-enabled it after the test.

Sorry about the login, I gave you the e-mail address instead of the user name. I edited the post in which I wrote the details.

Frits

4 months 6 days ago #77374

I have no idea. Couldn't see anything jumping out.

See if you can reproduce the issue on a clean installation of Joomla with no other 3rd party extensions installed.
Then you know if it is a conflict caused by another extension (seeing you have many installed) or something on the server.

It could also be something in the .htaccess. But couldn't find anything specifically weird in there either.

4 months 6 days ago #77390

Hi,

After your reply I set up a develop site that should be near identical to the live site (in fact it is a slightly older copy of the site in which I updated all extensions). This site is on a sub domain of the live site, so it is on the same hosting account.

To begin with, I disabled all 3rd party extensions, then I created a menu item on which I used the ComponentsAnywhere plugin. In this situation the plugin did work correctly. Well, it needed some tweaking for the url routing but it worked. Then, one by, I re-enabled all extensions. To my surprise, with all extensions enabled the plugin is still working correctly on the test site. On a side note: it seems that I enabled some extensions that were disabled on the live site; and as far as I can see this is the reason that the layout on the develop site is a bit damaged now.

You can see the plugin working correctly on this page (see Confidential section):

(hidden)

I'm quite surprised at the turn this has taken. I contacted the hosting provider in order to ask if there could be different curl settings for the main site / root folder and the sub domain / sub folder(s). I'm awaiting their reply at present.

On the develop site I've created a temporary super admin login with the same details as on the live site, in case you would want to take a look inside.

Kind regards, Frits

4 months 5 days ago #77392

It could be down to a difference in ordering of the system plugins.
Compare those and see if changing orders of certain plugins makes a difference.

4 months 5 days ago #77396

UPDATE: SOLVED!

I just took a look into the plugins order on both live and develop sites and I noticed some differences. I started to make the same order on the live site as on the dev site and after just about two or three changes it's working!

Thanks for your help,

Frits

4 months 5 days ago #77400

Ok, great to hear you have it figured out.
If you find out which extension was causing the issue, please let me know...

4 months 5 days ago #77402

Well, another surprise in this story. It turns out that I did not solve it by changing the order at all. At the same time that I was doing this, the help desk of our hosting provider Siteground were taking a look into this issue. And they changed the .htaccess file to the default Joomla .htaccess, as they suspected that some lines in this file caused the problem. And that is how it got solved.

We put a lot of stuff in this .htaccess because in the past we suffered from some ddos type attacks. Hopefully we won't need all these rules anymore. Yet I will try to figure out which lines were causing the issue on ComponentsAnywhere.

Frits