Better Preview

Preview content that is set for non-public access

2 months 2 days ago #92881

Thaddeus James's Avatar Thaddeus James

Hi there, I have some content on a site that is only visible for Registered Users. When I try to use Better Preview on those articles it shows me the home page and I get this error: "A parent category has a non-public access level" .

I thought maybe if I went to Global Configuration > System > and set Shared Sessions to YES that would fix it. But with that set I get this error: "The most recent request was denied because it had an invalid security token. Please refresh the page and try again". No matter how many times I flush the cache or log out and back in, I can't get it to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2 months 2 days ago #92882

Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen Admin

The "Shared Sessions" option will create issues.

Better Preview should be able to show articles inside categories with non-public access levels.
Are you using core Joomla articles?

2 months 2 days ago #92883

Yes, straight core Joomla articles. The articles are in a category that is restricted to Registered Users. When I go to the article to edit it and hit Preview I see this error: A parent category has a non-public access level. This page may not available on your live site.
https://ibb.co/GTtLyCG

2 months 2 days ago #92884

Yes, that is correct!
All working as expected. That message is there to remind you that the article is not public.

But you can see the preview, right?

2 months 2 days ago #92885

No sir, it always opens the home page. I have tried it on several different articles in that category. It never opens the article I am editing, only the home page.

2 months 1 day ago #92887

Probably your template does not show any component content on the homepage.
Try changing the default menu item in the Better Preview system plugin settings.

2 months 1 day ago #92892

That did it. Thank you so much!!! Sorry to be a bother. I searched around a lot before I posted here. Sorry if this info was out there already and I missed it. As always, you are awesome!

2 months 1 day ago #92893

No problem. Happy it is solved for you. 🙂

1 month 1 week ago #93260

Hi there, This solved my issue for the private content, but now they cant preview the public content. It appears that I have to choose a public or a private default menu, which then blocks the other. Is there a setting that would allow them to be able to preview both types of content without switching the default menu every time?

Thanks!

1 month 1 week ago #93261

Setting a public default menu item (so not a guest only menu item) should work for any access level/usergroup.

1 month 1 week ago #93263

If I understand you correctly, that was my original problem.
If I set the a public default menu item, then they can not preview the private content.
If I set a private default menu item, they can not preview the public content.
There doesn't appear to be a way to preview public and private content.

Confidential information:
(hidden)

Thanks for the quick reply and the continued support!

1 month 1 week ago #93264

The answer about changing the default menu item was based on:
"Probably your template does not show any component content on the homepage."

That has nothing to do with access levels.

Can you give me (super) admin and (s)ftp access so I can take a look?
And tell me on what url I can see/reproduce the issue.
You can use the 'Hidden text' button in the forum editor to hide the confidential information.

1 month 1 week ago #93265

UPDATE....
If I set the default menu item to be their private page, then they can preview everything EXCEPT articles in a blog.

Confidential information:
(hidden)

Thanks!

1 month 1 week ago #93283

Can you give your administrator url?
Simply going to /administrator gives an Access denied page.